Sunday, November 4, 2018

What happens after you "place" in a short story writing contest for publication in an anthology

Hi My Fellow Writers

After I "placed" in the Rehoboth Beach Reads 2018 Contest this is how things went ...

First you get that wonderful call telling you your story has been accepted for publication in the book. In my case I heard from Nancy of Cat & Mouse Press. I was told I received a "Judge's Award" which is not a cash prize but the story receives a special judge's comment. You are then instructed that the story will receive edits. The edits are then sent to you for your review.
**We must always remember that the edits are meant to improve, tighten and make your story the best it can be. I'd like to mention though, if you don't agree with something that has been deleted or changed, don't be shy about sending the editor your comments. The editor will explain why they felt the change should happen and you may explain your thoughts on the change. Maybe with some compromise you will both be happy. Keep in mind your Editor is a professional and gives serious thought to any objections. Your story will be edited for grammar, punctuation as well as spacing for their book, POV mistakes, etc.
This process may or may not make you happy, but remember what I mentioned above, and keep an open mind. Read the edits, then sleep on it and with a fresh eye, read them again. Try not to become defensive.
 Once you and the Editor agree to the edits, your story is then given to a Copy editor. In my case I was told I would get one review of those edits before publication. There may be more punctuation edits and spacing changes to get your story ready for the book. This process went very quickly.
Then you wait until your book launch. Beach Fun will Launch on November 10, 2018.
The book Beach Fun came back from the printer much sooner than was expected and soon I was holding my author copy!

Beach Fun is available at www.catandmousepress.com/shop/  as well as on Amazon.
My story begins on page 81 Where's Miss Birdie?
I hope you'll enjoy it as well as the 24 other stories.


Keep Writing, Keep Submitting and Keep Smiling!

2 comments: